Tuesday

New portrait oil study

12" x 16" oil painting on canvas board

I've been getting into the life drawing/sketching club at Maitland Art Center the last few weeks. Last time I was there, I met a really talented artist who is also a roofer and he encouraged me to try out Crealde's open studio on Friday. I'm interested in refining my technique in portraiture and he said the model there holds the pose for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours so it's worth it to get out the paints. I concentrated on the face and, even though it leaves something to be desired (my technique, not her face LOL), I'm anxious to get back at it in the coming new year.

3 comments:

akeorlando said...

Is this the painting you did? If so, it's really cool!

I'm not really an artist but I'd love to take a stab at something like this sometime; I bet it'd be fun.

Gayle Bell said...

Thank you for the compliment. It is kind of fun (and a challenge) to try and get the likeness down in a couple of hours.

akeorlando said...

@Gayle I can only imagine! As I said, I'm no artist so I'm sure any portrait I'd attempt would come out miserably.