Friday

Halloween ho-hum

Digital Art, Red flowers, 10/31/08

It's amazing how fast the day goes when you get on the computer. I was going to try and do some painting to salvage some of the day, but once I got into that messy room I couldn't do anything but leave as fast as I could. I'm really having a hard time focusing and doing what needs to be done (like clean up the room.) I'm having trouble coming up with the drive to create. Maybe it's just an excuse, but so many things seem to get in the way of it. Anxieties, depression, lawsuits--sometimes I feel as if I'm going mad.

I'm reading a book called "Surreal Lives, The Surrealists 1917-1945" by Ruth Brandon. Interestingly, the father of modern art, Marcel Duchamp, seems to have had a rather laid back attitude toward art also and painting in particular. He became hugely popular in the U.S. after his "Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2" became the hit of the 1913 Armory show. He immigrated from Paris in 1915 and could have sold many paintings, but gave it up for chess and intellectual pursuits, such as his theory of art epitomized in his "readymades." The readymades were his rebellion against "retinal art" and consisted of "an ordinary object elevated to the dignity of a work of art by the mere choice of an artist." This radical notion that the artist's idea alone could construct a work of art became the basis of today's conceptual art movement. Somehow I relate to the idea of thinking about art rather than doing it right now.

No comments: