Monday

Crazy busy, spinning wheels

It's been a busy, busy few days. With another legal disaster brewing in the ongoing soap opera of our rental business (which I'm not even going to think about now), moving another tenant into our downtown house and continuing the yard clean-up there, I haven't had much time to do anything art-related. I had committed some time ago to a volunteer job as a tutor at the Adult Literacy League, so Saturday was dominated by an all day training session there. I'm not sure I'll be able to do this, but I'm going to give it a go. I'm reading the book now about what is required, and it sure seems like it'll entail more than an hour a week. Maybe it'll be a good thing to get my mind off these nightmarish rentals! Yikes!!!!

I did spend a good bit of time last night working on a drawing. My teacher in the oil painting class I'm taking is pretty clear about the need to draw, draw, draw. I haven't really done that for years--and it shows. I used to love drawing. One thing for sure, when you draw a subject prior to painting--as he suggests--you find out the flaws, errors, etc. I'm drawing the painting above--I believe it's a painting by Rubens, but I'm not 100% sure--and I'm finding that I'm losing interest in it. I'm not sure what the problem is--maybe not enough information in the reproduction, maybe the subject--but I'm hoping I can figure it out before I start painting. I'm looking for other subjects now. Those great big collars they wore back in the Baroque period sure are strange looking and I'm certain they would take up a lot of time painting all that detail. Maybe I better check out some of his numerous nudes. I'd get a lot more practical experience on skin tones!

No comments: