Monday

Oil portrait of Wade

Wade, Oil on canvas, 16" x 20"

Jerry and I finished up with the art auction to benefit Doctors without Borders (MSF) in Haiti, although we're still selling some art here and there.  We sent a check a few days ago to MSF for almost $6,000.  We still have quite a bit of artwork left over and are trying to work something out with one of the donating artists to have a sale at his church (with the stipulation that all sales of the art would continue to go to MSF.)  As long as he's willing to put together a team and handle most of it, that's fine with us.  We're too pooped to try and spearhead another event on our own, but we'll help out if someone else wants to take the lead. 

I'm still trying to keep up with painting, in between trying to catch up with everything else that was neglected during the fundraiser.  The painting above was done at a 2 1/2 hour life drawing session a few weeks ago at Maitland Art Center.  I'm sort of pleased with it, in a rough kind of way.  I'm hitting a dry spell now, though.  It seems that everything I've attempted since has been totally inept and I've rubbed out quite a few paintings.  The thought that maybe one day soon I'll produce something I'm happy with is the only thing that keeps me coming back to my easel. 

2 comments:

Mel said...

This is lovely. I'm a big fan of facial expressions in artwork. Being able to catch a far-away look, the slight furrow of a frown, that is the translation of human emotion that brings a painting to life.

Gayle Bell said...

Well said Missy Ricco. And thank you for such a nice compliment!